December 11, 2010

You have had your fill of me.

Ingrid Michaelson's songs have grown on me. I now listen to them every day. There are a few that I am especially fond of, and it's because the lyrics almost always hit the fucking bulls-eye.
Overboard is my favorite Ingrid song, which is about a strong, independent girl ("I'm a big girl now, see my big girl shoes. It'll take more than just a breeze to make me fall overboard") who is reluctantly falling in love ("But as strong as I seem to think I am, my distressing damsel she comes out at night, when the moon's filled up and your eyes are bright"). Perfect for me.


Die Alone is about pride (something we all know I have an abundance of) and how it can make you hate yourself for feeling vulnerable when in love.
Don't be a fool girl, tell him you love him
Don't be a fool girl, you're not above him...
What have I become?
Something soft and really quite dumb

'Coz I've fallen...
Also, I like this song because the title is something I've thought would happen to me. Shut up don't judge me okay lol.


Starting Now is the song for moving on with your life after a relationship has ended. It's about fresh starts ("Starting now I'll never know your name. Starting now I'll never feel the same. Starting now I wish you never came into my world") and erasing painful memories ("I want to burn the sheets that smell like your skin").

By the way, the title is from her song December Baby, wherein she talks about a relationship that's falling apart because the other is pulling away. 

You have had your fill of me...
How can I catch up when I don't don't want to?
How can I catch up when I still want you?

Honestly, haven't a lot of us experienced being in a relationship where we feel we're the only one who is making an effort to make it work? Haven't you, at one point, felt like you were clutching at straws, desperately trying to hold on to whatever affection you were once given?


Other notable songs:

  • The Chain. Listen to the Live from Webster Hall version—the choir in the background, their layered voices, makes this song beautiful.
  • Giving Up
  • When the Leaves
  • Parachute: "I don't believe anything, don't trust anyone anymore, but I believe you when you say we're never gonna fall. Hand behind my neck, arm around my waist, never let me hit the ground, you'll never let me crash down." I want to feel this safe in love again.
  • Sky. A collaboration with Joshua Radin. Their vocals together are really something, and the song itself is sweet and mellow. Pang-in love. Nuks.
  • The Way I Am. For telling your sweetie that you'd love him no matter what, and telling him that you know he feels the same way. The line "'coz I love the way you call me baby, and you take me the way I am" always gives me the kiligz.
  • You and I. Bubbly and cute, this fun song is catchy as herpes. One that will have you singing all day (and getting annoyed because you can't hit the high note in the chorus).



Seriously. Listen to her. She writes the best stuff. She's the type of artist that makes you go, "Oh my god, those lyrics just described exactly how I feel."

2 comments:

  1. i was just browsing around and your blog title caught my eye. i oddly like it. :)

    anyway, about the blog post, i listen ingrid too! i'm in love with 'the chain'. nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song, too. Especially the version in Webster Hall; it's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! And use exclamation points!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...