December 23, 2010

Hipster ▲

Yesterday, my mom and I had a discussion that went something like this:
Mom: Bakit ba ang sumisikat dito eh sila Lady Gaga at Katy Perry?
Me: Oo nga eh. Di ko sila gusto. Di ako mahilig sa mainstream, sa sikat.
Mom: Baka naman nagpapaka-effort ka lang maiba.
Me, in my head: FUUUUUUUUUUUU

I can't even.

It sucks that I feel like I have to justify myself, but here I am, doing so anyway.

I listen to indie bands because I think underground music is better than the shit popular artists come up with these days, not because I want to be different. I'll have you all know that I listen to Justin Bieber and I actually have Charice's Pyramid on my phone.
Seriously, I really fucking hate the way some people think I listen to indie bands para lang maiba. Do you prefer that I start listening to Paramore, Miley Cyrus, and the Jonas Brothers?


Starry photo with Helvetica! So goddamn *~hipster~*
Photo taken from Sarcastic Indie Fucks.

What sucks even worse is that the hipster culture has been reduced to being a way to be *~unique~*, instead of staying true to what you like even if it's not the "in" thing. Wasn't the whole point of being hipster to be too "cool" to be labeled? Now everyone who buys clothes from ukay-ukays, listens to music no one else has heard of, and drinks at Mogwai (lol no not really) is branded as a hipster.

I want Paula's hipster glasses! Pero di daw bagay sa akin.

Cracked has an article that describes almost exactly how I feel about this whole thing. Read it, please, and think twice before you label someone as hipster or nonconformist or whatever shit you're calling anyone different is these days. Jesus. I hate people and their incessant need to label.

Also, listen to this awesome Say Anything song that sneers at the hipster culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line! And use exclamation points!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...